At any one time, in a normal head of hair, approximately 85 percent of all the hairs are actively growing and are called anagen hairs. The remaining 15 percent are in a resting stage and are called telogen hairs. Telogen hairs are gradually shed and, after a short time, replaced by new anagen hairs.
Occasionally, during the time of particular physical or emotional stress, many more hairs may become prematurely shifted into the resting phase and then shed en masse. Stress on the body, such as prolonged high fever, childbirth, surgery, crash dieting, and bereavement have been associated with pronounced telogen hair loss, which generally does not begin right away. Instead, telogen hair loss usually occurs about four to eight weeks after a particular stress has actually passed.
The amount of hair loss can be frightening. It may begin to fall out in the large clumps and batches, and distressing amount of hair may be found on the pillow or come out while combing or brushing. It may continue to the point where over 40 percent of the normal number of scalp hairs is lost, at which point the loss is quite noticeable. Telogen hair loss usually continues for several weeks before tempering off. If the original stress has been eliminated, hairs will usually begin to grow back normally within a few weeks. However, since hair only grows about a half inch per month, noticeable improvement generally takes at least six months. Patience, combine with gentle, routine hair and scalp care and a tincture of time are the most effective therapies for telogen hair loss. Unfortunately, no drug can speed the process of regrowth. If hair loss persists, a dermatologist should be consulted. The injury to the roots is frequently reversible within several months if the rollers or tension producing styles are stopped.
Category: Hair fall